• Shortlysts
  • Posts
  • Israel-Hamas Ceasefire at Risk After Netanyahu Vows 'Revenge'

Israel-Hamas Ceasefire at Risk After Netanyahu Vows 'Revenge'

Hopes for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza appear more concerning after Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu vowed revenge amid Hamas’ alleged release of wrong body.

What Happened?

Hopes for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza have become more fragile after Israeli officials said the body of a hostage returned was not the person expected.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reportedly vowed revenge on Friday for the 'cruel and malicious violation' he described by the Palestinian militant group Hamas.

The body returned as part of the deal a day prior was not that of 32-year-old Shiri Bibas, an Israeli mother of two children that Hamas had agreed to.

Instead, Israel’s military said three other bodies handed over had been identified as her sons, Ariel and Kfir, who would have been aged five and two, and peace activist Oded Lifschitz, 83.

They were all reportedly taken hostage from Kibbutz Nir Oz during the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas-led attack.

Hamas rejected Netanyahu’s threats, claiming all the hostages were killed amid Israeli air strikes and had 'no interest in retaining any bodies.'

The militant group said they remain committed and have reportedly called on mediators to ensure the continued implementation.

But Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said forensic testing proved the hostages were all killed by their 'captors,' without providing further specifics.

There’s hope that the eighth exchange on Saturday under the first ceasefire phase leads to better circumstances.

Discussions about the next phase have yet to take place.

Why it Matters

President Donald Trump previously laid out an ultimatum to Hamas if Israeli hostages were not released.

Hamas announced that it would stop releasing Israeli hostages until further notice amid alleged ceasefire violations by Israel.

Families of Israeli hostages reportedly urged the government to stick to the flimsy ceasefire deal.

Gazans have meanwhile begun trying to rebuild despite orders by Netanyahu to conduct an operation in the occupied West Bank.

Last week, three empty buses exploded in a suspected terror attack near Tel Aviv, according to reports.

IDF had prepared to defend Israeli communities at the highest level of readiness in Gaza.

A meeting was reportedly held Friday in Riyadh to discuss alternative proposals for Gaza's future amid Trump's 'Riviera of the Middle East' plans.

Trump has continued to insist that neighboring countries like Jordan and Egypt will rehome the nearly two million Palestinian residents.

His administration said they remain open to other suggestions, according to CBS News.

Despite Netanyahu's backing, Jordan, Egypt, and Hamas have all rejected the idea.

How it Affects You

More than 20 Palestinians have reportedly been killed during West Bank raids since the ceasefire agreement went into effect on Jan. 19.

Hamas had said it was ready to release all its remaining hostages in a single exchange if the ceasefire agreement moves forward to a second phase.

But U.S. envoy Adam Boehler described the incident involving the wrong body release as 'horrific' and a 'clear violation' of the truce agreement.

World leaders will closely monitor continued measures to ensure that ceasefire conditions prevail.

How Israel may respond, and the future state of Gaza's ceasefire remains unknown.