• Shortlysts
  • Posts
  • Israel Introduces New Ceasefire Plan

Israel Introduces New Ceasefire Plan

Israel introduced a new U.S. ceasefire plan that differs from the current one agreed to with Hamas, which may result in setbacks toward the path of continued implementation.

What Happened?

Israel has introduced what is said to be a new U.S. ceasefire plan that differs from the previous one agreed in January with Hamas.

According to reports, Israel is now trying to force Hamas into accepting this new plan by imposing a total blockade on the Gaza Strip.

At least two people have reportedly been killed and three others wounded after an Israeli drone attack in the south of Gaza.

Permanent ceasefire hopes in Gaza are becoming more fragile among Palestinians.

The new plan would require Hamas to release half of its remaining hostages in exchange for a ceasefire extension and a promise to negotiate a lasting truce.

Israel reportedly made no mention of releasing more Palestinian prisoners.

Although the White House has yet to confirm it, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the 'Witkoff proposal' came from President Donald Trump’s Mideast envoy, Steve Witkoff.

Second-phase arrangements have not yet been finalized despite the conclusion of the first-phase.

Why it Matters

Netanyahu vowed revenge for a 'cruel and malicious violation' he described by Hamas after the body returned as part of a deal was not that of an Israeli mother of two children.

Hamas rejected Netanyahu’s threats, claiming all the hostages were killed amid Israeli air strikes and had 'no interest in retaining any bodies.'

They also stated they've remained committed and have called on mediators to ensure the continued implementation.

But Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said forensic testing proved the hostages were all killed by their 'captors,' without providing further specifics.

President Donald Trump previously laid out an ultimatum if Israeli hostages were not released after Hamas announced delays amid alleged ceasefire violations.

Netanyahu has also given orders to Israel Defense Forces (IDF) to conduct raid operations in the occupied West Bank.

Foreign leaders held a past meeting in Riyadh to discuss alternative proposals for Gaza's future amid Trump's 'Riviera of the Middle East' plans.

Trump, who remains open to other suggestions, has insisted that neighboring countries like Jordan and Egypt will rehome nearly two million Palestinian residents.

Jordan, Egypt, and Hamas have all rejected the idea despite Netanyahu's backing of the plan.

How it Affects You

At least 116 Palestinians have been killed by IDF and more than 490 injured since the Gaza ceasefire, the Health Ministry says.

World leaders are closely monitoring to ensure ceasefire conditions prevail in the end.

Egypt has developed a counterproposal that is expected to be endorsed Tuesday at an Arab summit in Cairo.

The path to reach the second part of a three-phase plan under current terms could certainly escalate if the two sides remain on hold.